Friday, April 22, 2011

Comments4Kids #7,8,9,10

We mean something written on a hippo

I chose this image to represent my final post for Comments4Kids.  These kids really mean something to my experience in EDM310.  They have shown me what hard work really looks like and taught me new and interesting ways of learning.  I hope that one day I can share this with my students and encourage them to share their learning experiences with the world.

C4K, Comment 7
by Mr. McClung

I have previously posted about Mr. McClung and his website in my class assignment.  My assignment this week was about Irish Punk-Rock.  I really enjoyed this post because it is something that I listen to at home.  Mr. McClung does a band of the week on his blog.  I liked how he tied a newer band with the St. Patrick’s Day theme for his classroom.  It was also nice that I have a personal knowledge of this band, but aslo learned new information about them.  In my response below I also suggested another Irish Punk-Rock band for him to share with his students.  The two band are very competitive, but I enjoy them both.  One day, in my own classroom, I would like to have a band of the week section to my blog.  Music is an important factor in education and Mr. McClung has come up with an interesting and different way to approach it in his classroom.

My response:

Mr. McClung,

I am a student in Dr. Strange’s EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama.  I really enjoyed this post because I love this type of music!  I do like Dropkick Murphys, but I would have to say I am more of a Flogging Molly  kind of girl.  They started about a year after Dropkick Murphys.  There is always the big debate over being a Flogging Molly’s fan or a Dropkick Murphys’ fan, but I think they are equally great!  My favorite song by Flogging Molly is Drunken Lullabies which is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day.  Hope you enjoy this along with your favorite Dropkick Murphys!

Jessica Brown
EDM310 Student
University of South Alabama

C4K, Comment 8

by Student F

Student F is in a year 6 class of 10 and 11 year olds.  Their class blog does not give much information about themselves, but they are well connected with other classes all over the world.  My assignment for this week was to read and comment on Student F’s blog post on January 27, 2011.  In this post Student F discussed book week.  For their book week they were allowed to dress up as their favorite character from the story they were reading.  Student F shared that they did not have school that Tuesday and that they were participating in a ReadAThon.  The class is learning to summarize in their Guided Reading class.  They also had a guest come to their school that Student F thought was very funny.

In my response to Student F, I explained who I am and that I really liked Student F’s post about book week.  I said that it was really neat that if the students participate in the ReadAThon that they did not have any other homework for the week and that they get to dress up as their favorite characters.  I mentioned that Student F’s blog post was a great summary of the week and to keep up the great work.



C4K, Comment 9
by Mrs. Yollis

This blog is made for third graders to learn and share together.

Meet Mrs. Yollis:
Mrs. Yollis is currently a third grade teacher.  She has taught combination classes and fifth grade for many years.  Mrs. Yollis has been a teacher for twenty-four years.  She loves working with parents to help their children do their best.

Mrs. Yollis also likes to travel.  She has taught English overseas and also travels to teach her students here in America.  My favorite thing about Mrs. Yollis’ self-description is that she is a student too.  She recently earned her master’s degree in Integrating Technology in the Classroom.  She uses what she has learned and continues to learn along with her worldly travels to advance the quality of education at her school.

Meet the Bloggers:
Mrs. Yollis’ class is in Los Angeles, California.  She has eleven girls and eleven boys.  Her whole class is learning to blog.  I think it’s great that she listed some activities the students enjoy doing. 

Video: How to Comment:

These video tutorials on quality comments were very informative and cute.  The students gave tips for people to leave comments with meaning on their blog.  I liked how they wrote that they would score each comment received as a class.  It was a little intimidating to me, but I liked that they collectively looked at the content and grammar of each comment left on their blog.  This is a great way for them to see the importance of good grammar in their own writing.

Learn HTML Codes:
The HTML Codes page is a great way for beginners to learn more about HTML codes.  I found a few on there that I had never seen before.  I liked that they had different step by step instructions, a video, and a table to explain many different codes.  I also use a website w3schools.com to learn new codes for my personal class blog.

Time Zones of Friends:
This page was adorable!  It was a line of clocks that told the different times for different groups of people they talk to.  I loved this because it makes the different time zones or the world more relatable to the students.  I may use this idea in my own classroom one day.

Learn About California:
This page consisted of a nice slideshow that teaches facts about the state of California.  I found out at the end of the video that Mrs. Yollis is the creator of the slideshow.  I think this is a fabulous idea!  I would like to make a slideshow for my students and myself.  I am still fairly new to Alabama, so I think it would be beneficial for me to be able to make such a neat video to share with my students.

Learn How to Shoot Great Digital Images:
This page had a video made by a female student.  She explains how to take a good picture.  Then they show some good pictures and some bad pictures.  For each of the bad pictures, she explains what makes them bad even if they are clear.  Afterwards, she gives helpful tips about videos.  I thought it was cute how they applaud the good video clips and boo the bad ones. 

I Posted:
Dear Mrs. Yollis and her students,

Your class blog is amazing and well organized!  I have recently talked to Miriam on her page which was also well organized and informative.  This blog has helpful information that I can use now while I am in college, as well as later when I become an elementary teacher.

I like that you post your own videos and tutorials on the class blog.  I found the HTML codes and the information on shooting digital images to be very helpful.  Thank you for making those informative but interesting and funny too.  I have been watching many videos this semester that are not as interesting and yours really grabbed my attention!

I am also a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama.  My class is following your class' blog this week.  I will be writing summaries about your blog along with other conversations we may have on my my own blog.  I would love any comments or questions you may have about anything I have posted.  I am trying to learn as much as I can about technology in the classroom, so that one day my students will be able to do things that you are doing now.

If you would like to visit my page, I would love any other helpful tips you may have.  I would be honored to have your opinions because your class is full of awesome bloggers!

Keep up the great work and thank you again for sharing your blog with our class!

Sincerely,
Jessica Brown
EDM310 Student
University of South Alabama

C4K, Comment 10
by Jaden of Mrs. Yollis’ Class

Jaden’s latest blog post was from his Blog Mascot, Mr. California.  Mr. California is a chipmunk who enjoys many sports and reading.  Jaden explained a few of the chipmunk features and left a cute picture of a stuffed animal chipmunk.  He also introduced six other blog mascots and asked if we had blog mascots on our blogs. 

Mrs. Yollis and her students’ value quality comments, therefore I will post my direct comment below:
Dear Jaden,

Thank you for such a wonderful post!  My name is Jessica Brown and I am one of the students in Dr. Strange’s EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama.  This post was very original because I did not know that there were blog mascots!  I really enjoyed meeting Mr. California and I liked the picture you posted of him.  I always thought that chipmunks were very small because they are the smallest of the squirrel family, but did you know that they can be as tall as 11 inches?  I have learned a lot about chipmunks because of your mascot.  I found most of my information from the National Geographic website about chipmunks.

Thank you for also posting some of the links to the other mascots’ pages.  I do not have a blog mascot yet, but now I am thinking about getting one.  I am a big fan of hippopotamuses.  They are by far my favorite animals!  I was thinking about having Hannah the Hippo as my mascot.  What do you think about the name?  I also like the names Harriet, Harpo, and Hadley.  I just learned the other day that when hippos get angry or stressed their sweat turns red!  I just thought I would share that with you because I thought it was extremely interesting.  I would love to hear what you think about my mascot ideas for my page, and if you would like to visit my page to see if she would work, feel free to anytime.  I also have a few book trailers and other videos that you may like.

Keep up the great work on your blog!  It looks amazing!

Sincerely,
Jessica Brown
EDM310 Student
University of South Alabama

Earlier this week, I noticed that a young girl from Mrs. Yollis’ class had commented on our EDM310 class blog.  Her name is Miriam, or Victoria.  She encouraged us to check out her blog because she is one of the students who earned their own blog page in her class.  I visited her blog and it was great!  She had beautiful pictures of things she has personally experienced along with many facts about her topics.  I left a brief message on her latest post about volcanoes.  It was not an in depth response, but I let her know that her hard work is definitely paying off.  Her blog is wonderful and the information and pictures are very inviting.  I gave her the link to my blog and she commented on my video teaching the American Sign Language alphabet.  She said her mother knows the ASL alphabet too.  Hopefully my video helped her to learn a bit of a language that she can share with her mother the same way I share it with my mother.

I also noticed on our class blog, Dr. Strange asked us to comment on another one of Mrs. Yollis’ students Ryan.  Ryan used his blog mascot to help him teach his readers about fractions!  This was a great example of how we can use technology to enhance student’s creativity in math.  I am currently learning about how to teach fractions in my Mathematics for Elementary Educators class.  I thought he did an excellent job of illustrating his examples.  Below is a copy of my direct response:

Dear Ryan,

My name is Jessica Brown and I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama.  Your latest blog post was great!  I loved that you and Mr. NY worked together to show others about fractions.  I am currently taking a class, Mathematics for Elementary Educators, at my college where we are learning how to teach our future students about fractions.  Your presentation was spectacular!  I really liked how you showed the difference in the numerator and denominator as well as explaining how they are part of a whole.

This is not an easy concept for a lot of people.  You and Mr. NY also did a great job of showing the importance of equal parts.  Mr. NY was very creative to use himself and it was nice of you to remind him to make his parts equal.  I would really like to vote for Mr. NY’s Favorites for your next blog post, but I think I will use my vote for Mr. New York Teaches Fraction Word Problems.  You guys did such an awesome job teaching fractions, I would love to see your examples in word problems!

If you have any suggestions or tips that helped you to learn more about fractions I would love to hear about them.  You can visit my blog anytime with your feedback.  Thank you again for such a great post on fractions!  This will help me in my own class at the University as well as one day when I become a teacher.

Sincerely,
Jessica Brown
EDM310 Student
University of South Alabama

Overall, I am very proud of Mrs. Yollis’ students.  I am glad that they were included in my final comments for kids.  This semester I have followed many students and I hope that my words of encouragement have helped them in their blogging experience.  I know that getting comments on my page has both reinforced my opinions as well as changed some of my own views.  For any of the students who may be visiting my blog, I would just like to say thank you again for such a wonderful experience and I hope you continue to do your best on your blogs because it really does make a difference in the education of others.

1 comment: