Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blog Post 12

the delete button

Blog Post 12 Due 4/17

1. Watch Think Before You Post 0:38 and think about how this can apply to you and your future.

2.  Next watch Sarah's Experience 1:01 and Why You Can't Take It Back 0:31.  These videos are part of a movement to have kids think about what they are posting on the internet and how it may affect them.

Write a post in which you discuss the importance of this message.  Explain why as a future educator you would need to be aware of this and how you will teach this to your students.

My Response:

I was surprised when I came across these videos.  I have been learning about the importance of being technology literate throughout this semester.  The question of safety has only come up within the past two weeks.  There have not been many assignments, videos, teacher blog postings, or conversation about student safety online and for the ones that do address this problem; they just tell the kids what to do to be safe from others.


These videos show that there can be safety issues based on what they post.  The first video made me think about people our age.  When we were younger, the internet was a new experience.  There did not seem to be much harm in what was posted on the internet.  However, now we have more social networks and new ways of finding out more about people.

People who are graduating high school and college right now are having harder times finding jobs because their employers are finding things that were posted by themselves online years ago.  Many websites, like California Labor and Employment Law, explain how your information, pictures, and opinions can keep you unemployed.

This is a problem that we need to be aware of and introduce to our students.  There are similar campaigns such as A Thin Line on MTV which raises awareness on issues of sexting, cyber bullying, and digital abuse.  All of which are current problem our students are facing and will be facing.

Our generation is faced with employment issues, but what about the futures of our students?  These topics need to be covered in our classrooms now.  Technology is only going to increase in the world around us and we need to be able to show videos and give examples of what can happen after the post something thinking it is harmless. 

This may not be as significant for younger students, but we must start teaching them safety on the internet as soon as possible.  I agree that we should teach them general safety precautions, but we must not forget that there are other dangers on the internet than predators.  As a future educator, I plan to stay active in finding out dangers in technology.  I will do my best to show videos and share documents with my students to raise their awareness as well.

3 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    I really like your idea about the think before you post thing going on. I think it is extremely important that children and kids need to realize that anything they do put on the internet is out to the open and anyone can see it. As a future educator, I think that this is very important because we all need to watch what is posted on the internet cause things that were done years ago can even be brought up in the future. The first video, well like it says at the end, yes embarrassing that just is not something you want schools, your future students or just anyone to see. The one about Sarah, I think stresses a great point because kids that age need to really understand that ANYONE can see it. I like the whole "Think Before You Post" theme. Thanks for sharing.
    - Nell Broughton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you posted this! My sister just joined facebook a few months ago (she is fourteen) and it made me hyper aware of what she is posting, and what I am posting. It is so hard to find and draw that "appropriate" line. These videos are a little cheesy, but very effective at getting their messages across. Way to think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys! Thanks for looking over my blog post 12. I know the videos are well, very cheesy but i think that they do a great job of getting the point across. My parents and teachers always told me that what you write down on paper is there forever, but now we have technology. Dr. Strange told us that once we put something online, it is available for anyone to see and I think that this is important for us as well as our future students. Thanks for the encouragement and I'm glad you enjoyed my lesson.

    ReplyDelete